Game One Triumph


Hunter King, Staff Member

Reading Time: 2 minutes

The Eagles took on the Westside Wolves in game one of the postseason on Saturday afternoon at Pridgeon Stadium. The Eagles came out with high energy and out played the Wolves to win the game 40-14 and secure their bid to the second round of the playoffs.


The Eagles started the game in good field position after a short kick off from the Wolves. The Eagles offense marched all the way down field to the one-yard line which included a complete pass from quarterback, TJ Goodwin (12), his first completion since returning from injury. Just a minute and a half of play and the Eagles running back and district leader in rushing yards, Koby Leavatts (12), broke through the defensive line and scored the first touchdown of many in the game for him.


The quarter ended 7-0 with the Eagles on top, but the Wolves threatened early in the second quarter with a 36-yard field goal from their kicker, Sebastian Orrego (12). The Eagles held the lead at 7-3 with 10:19 to go in the second quarter.


Four minutes later, the Eagles were looking to increase the lead after picking up big chunks of yards. Leavatts ran the ball in the end zone for a two-yard touchdown with 5:30 to go until halftime and ran again for another two-yard touchdown with 30 seconds remaining.


With only 30 seconds left in the half, the Wolves went the length of the field to put themselves in field goal range to try and cut the Eagles big lead down. Orrego was successful on a long 40-yard field goal as time expired in the first half of the game. The Eagles headed to the locker room with a 21-6 lead.


Westside started the scoring in the second half with a 13-yard touchdown pass from quarterback, Akeem Benjamin (11), to his receiver Tim White (12). The Wolves converted on a two-point conversion making it a one score game at 21-14.


The Eagles were determined to put it out of reach from then on. The Eagles defense wouldn’t allow another score for the remainder of the game. Eagles kicker, Nathan Cerdena (12), made a 22-yard field goal. Then, the Eagles sacked Benjamin in their own end zone for a safety 26-14.


With 6:52 remaining in the game, Goodwin threw a 9-yard pass to receiver, Cale Burke (11). The Eagles would cap off the game with another one-yard run from Leavatts for the score, his fourth and the final touchdown of the game.


The Eagles won 40-14 and will move on to play another game. On Saturday, November 24, the Eagles will take on the Tompkins Falcons at Pridgeon with a kickoff time of 1 p.m.