Wingspan

Soaring to the Playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Soaring to the Playoffs

Hunter King, Staff Member

The Eagles dropped the tenth and final game of the regular season to the Cy Ridge Rams at Pridgeon Stadium. A cold Saturday afternoon set the mood for some fall football before the Eagles start to prepare for the playoffs.

Throughout the game, both teams showed high levels of intensity on both sides of the field, each team trying to win their last game of the 2018 – 2019 football season. The Rams drove the football down field midway through the first quarter. Rams quarterback, Noah Smith (12), took a snap and ran with it. Smith ran it 22 yards to the end zone to put the Rams on the board first. However, the Rams missed the extra point and the score remained 6-0 for the remaining four minutes of the quarter.

In the second quarter, the Eagles would return the favor with a defensive touchdown. The defensive back, Mekhi Davis (12), scooped up the fumble and evaded tacklers to score a 54-yard touchdown with 2:06 remaining in the half.

The Rams were successful on a field goal with four seconds to go in the half making it 9-7 at halftime. The Rams kicked another field goal a few minutes after the halftime break and made it 12-7.

Neither team scored again until halfway through the fourth quarter. The Eagles had the ball at their own 46-yard line. The ball was handed to running back, Koby Leavatts (12), who ran 54 yards for another touchdown on the season. The Eagles were successful on the two point conversion that Cale Burke (11) ran in the end zone to extended their lead to 15-12.

The Rams came out strong after that drive and would score three touchdowns in the last five minutes of the game, putting it out of reach for a comeback. The Eagles finished the game with 200 total yards with 103 of them from the running game. They were also able to pick up over 20 minutes of possession time and 10 first downs. The Rams won by a score of 33-15.

The Eagles finished this season with the second best record in school history (8-2). They will move on to play the Westside Wolves in game one of the playoffs. The game will be played at Pridgeon Stadium on Saturday, November 17, at 1 p.m.