Wingspan

Friends and Food

Back to Article
Back to Article

Friends and Food

Alise Maxie, Editor

Friendsgiving is a holiday greatly celebrated in America, yet the origin is unclear. Some say it started with college students or coworkers who lived far and just needed a place to gather during the holiday. Others might say it started with the show Friends and they set it off. This holiday is not just for friends far from family though, it is also used as a way to celebrate the holiday with friends and appreciate them before going on break with family.

Friendsgiving is thanksgiving celebrated with your friends instead of family. a traditional thanksgiving meal is given, just without the far travels or family drama. This holiday doesn’t have a set date rather just a time frame.

Friendsgiving is usually the day of or a few days before thanksgiving day, depending on every friend’s schedule. Friendsgivings’ that are set on Thanksgiving are usually for people who can’t make their way home on this special day, while Friendsgivings’ earlier that week are just for friends who want to get together.

Friendsgiving is popularly celebrated by the younger generation as it is a new trend. There are many kinds of Friendsgivings’, for a formal Friendsgiving, there is often a host and the hostess’s house is where the celebration will conduct. The host will provide the turkey, and the guests will come with their Thanksgiving speciality. Another form of Friendsgiving is when everyone just brings a Thanksgiving gift, and it’s a big thanksgiving potluck.

Many school campuses also host Friendsgiving, as a way to unify students before break. Clubs also partake in their own Friendsgiving activities as a way to unify the club one last time with some good food.

Whether it’s with the school, or some best buds, Friendsgivings traditions are alive and well. As this event becomes more prominent in society, it might just be the new American culture.